Sunday, November 27, 2011

scary technology

Most of the time when I look at the new technology coming out in the world I am excited and think that the things we come up with are simply amazing. However I hear of some futuristic technology possibilities that scare me. For example I watched an episode of the Discovery Channels "Curiosity" where they spoke about all of the technology that scientists are working on that can actually make a person live forever. They spoke about how we can already grow a persons body part or organ simply by using their blood cells. This will keep all vital organs working forever. They are working on a technology that injects hormones that allow a person's body to remain fit and continue muscle growth for decades longer than we can now. They even mentioned a possible brain flash drive. Due to the fact that the human brain has a limit to its long term memory storage we will have a device that takes memories out of your head and stores them onto a computer. Things like this scare me and it makes me extremely curious as to how long until these things will be spoken about in everyday language.

5 comments:

  1. This is some very interesting material Trevor. Just like you, it is pretty intimidating to see where are technology is heading in the future for the good or bad. Sure it would be great if we can create or have technology to help those live and something unprecedented. Aspects like brain flash drives and things of that nature seem a little over board and to really see if they can add to long term memory is something to be seen. I know my older family members are amazed to where we are today with technology, and only time will tell how broad research and ideas become on technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you about being scared of the technology in the future. We already have crazy people out there who do stupid things when they have the power of technology. I've always thought about how cool it would be to live forever but then again I feel live would become boring after you did everything possible. It is kind of a thrill not knowing when your last day could be and makes you want to live everyday to the fullest. Lets just hope that we keep the technology under control and not allow it to be the end of society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is scary and wrong on my levels Trevor. All of can think of when I hear this is think about films where people try to become immortal. This is plain just wrong. I think being honest this verges on ethical issues more than anything, for example is it normal to make a person smarter by giving them a flash drive and is it right to make a person live longer, well a lot longer? Some people say yes to making people smarter and live longer, but what will ultimately happen in my view is that the rich people of the world will only be able to use this technology and it would also be miss used! causing more trouble than harm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy the benefits that technology brings, but even technology has to have limits set. I completely agree that this is pretty nerve-racking stuff indeed. Pretty soon technology, as it has on many scales already, will take the joy away from a lot of the simple things in life. For instance as the newer generations, including ours, come about we see less and less time spent with family and more time with technology such as computer, gaming systems, iphones, etc. Just as it is taking time away from families, it is also taking time away from physical activity; sure there are many technology systems that promote physical activity but there are far greater distractions brought by technology that are taking away the good old days of kids going outside to play rather than stay inside. Like I said, technology is great, but it needs limits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not going to lie, when I read this, I was kind of creeped out. It's amazing how far technology has advanced, but like you said, it can be rather scary. Being able to grow a human body part or organ just from a person's blood cells is absolutely crazy! And a brain flash drive? Can you imagine sticking a flash drive in the side of your head to take out some memories? That would certainly be a sight to see. It might make studying easier!

    ReplyDelete